Take a moment and place your hand over your heart. Do you feel it beating? Do you know what a marvel your heart is? In a YouTube video called “The Miracle of the Human Heart Explained by Biologist Michael Denton”* we learn the following:
- Your heart started beating while you were still in the womb. It beats every second. By the time you reach 80 years old, it will beat two billion times.
- The cells that compose the heart are special. They resist fatigue and contract autonomously without external control.
- With each beat the heart moves 100 billion red blood cells through hundreds of kilometers of capillaries. Each red blood cell carries oxygen molecules to the cells of the body, providing the energy for life.
- It took four centuries of diligent study to understand how the heart and lungs work. They are examples of bioengineering fine-tuned to deliver energy throughout the body.
- But they would be useless without the fine-tuning of the earth’s environment. In order for the heart and lungs to deliver oxygen, sunlight must reach the surface of the planet. Through photosynthesis, plants must be present to produce oxygen. Water, which forms the basis of blood, must be the right viscosity. If it were thicker or thinner, our blood would be useless. And transition metals must be present to carry and convert oxygen in the body.
Thump, thump, thump. Your heart declares the glory of God who designed it.
*Discovery Science, “The Miracle of the Human Heart Explained by Biologist Michael Denton,” YouTube, https://youtu.be/52JfcJvP-Sk
How to leave a review: https://www.sparkingfaith.com/rate-and-review/
Visit Elmer Fuller’s author website at: https://www.elmerfuller.com/
Bumper music “Landing Place” performed by Mark July, used under license from Shutterstock.